Under remote supervision, ensures effective collection efforts for the organization. Pursues direct telephone contact to delinquent members. Ensures that the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" is adhered to as it relates to delinquent member accounts. Must also possess strong communication skills, attend to details and make accurate and timely decisions when collecting the accounts. Maintains a working knowledge of all services and operations of the credit union. Complete all required credit union educational courses. Support a sales and service culture.
1. Represent the credit union to members in a courteous, professional manner. Provide prompt, efficient and accurate service in processing transactions.
2. Make telephone contact daily and memo every delinquent account accordingly.
3. Ensure that the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act” is adhered to as it relates to delinquent member accounts.
4. During the course of contact with delinquent members, insure that the proper credit counseling and financial assistance is provided in an effort to help the member and reduce delinquency.
5. Send out letters on all arrangements and promises as received; follow up on all broken promises and arrangements with letters and phone calls.
6. Work with Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies.
7. Recommend accounts for attorney approval.
8. Responsible for following collection policies and procedures in order to maintain delinquent and charge-off goals, in an effort to minimize losses.
9. Maintain a working knowledge of computer software programs.
10. Maintain daily tracking reports.
11. Maintain a working knowledge of collection laws and regulations.
12. Prepare extension forms for committee and send out letters, once approved or disapproved.
13. Attain and maintain knowledge of all credit union services that are available to members.
14. Handle NSF loan payment checks, Due Date Change forms, attorney demand letter requests and return mail.
15. Continue education through required and available credit union courses.
16. Handle CPI insurance issues with State National.
17. Handle Gap Problems on remaining loans balances.
18. Recommend accounts for field chases.
19. Use all approved methods of skip tracing.
20. Recommend collection refinances when necessary.
21. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to deal with numbers effectively; proficient math knowledge.
- Ability to provide courteous and professional service to members.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate orally, in writing, and by phone.
- Ability to analyze situations related to position and make sound decisions.
- Ability to learn, apply, and communicate knowledge of credit union products, services, and procedures.
- Ability to learn, apply, and communicate credit union collection policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze situations and make sound decisions.
- Ability to input and retrieve data from computer.
- Ability to use a calculator.
- Ability to type accurately.
- Ability to compose letters and memorandum.
- Ability to use and learn office machines (i.e., copier, fax, terminals).
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent. Two to three years’ financial institution experience including loans, collections, and customer service preferred. Previous collection experience highly preferred.
$34,166- $42,707 DOE
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: VP-Collections
Location: Goodwood Branch