Baton Rouge Mayor Declares Oct 8th Neighbors Day
On Monday, October 8, 2018 Neighbors FCU’s staff will take a day off to volunteer with 13 charity organizations and schools throughout the Greater Baton Rouge Area. Around 260 Neighbors employees will contribute more than 1000 hours of labor!
In honor of their services to the community, Baton Rouge Mayor President Sharon Weston Broome has declared the day Neighbors Day! How cool is that?
This will be the second annual Neighbors Day. Neighbors Day was established after The Great Flood of 2016. The flood deeply affected many of our employees and members. Neighbors’ staff went out into the community to support their neighbors in need. Their service left a lasting impression. Neighbors decided to follow through and make an annual day of service in the community a new tradition for the credit union.
Our mission is to not only provide much needed assistance to those in need, but to inspire others to give back to the community.
“Neighbors Day was an idea that was planned to begin in 2016,” Neighbors CEO and President Steve Webb said. “Unfortunately our community was ravaged by the Great Flood, so we encouraged our employees that did not sustain damage to assist their family, friends and neighbors during this difficult time.”
“So although we had to cancel our formal event in 2016, we saw the value of helping those in need and we are committed to this event year after year.”
Here is the list of organizations Neighbors employees will volunteer with this year!
- Baton Rouge Children’s Advocacy Center
- Brave Heart, Children in Need
- Cancer Services of Baton Rouge
- Companion Animal Alliance
- Friends of the Animals Baton Rouge
- Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank
- Livingston Council on Aging
- Our Lady of the Lake Children’s Hospital
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul Dining Room and Distribution Center
- The Salvation Army
- Volunteers of America (Drop In Center at the Homeless Services Center; Oak Park Plaza)
- Volunteers in Public Schools (Glasgow Middle School)
- St. Amant Primary School