Walking into the STAR (Sexual Trauma Awareness and Response) office the first thing you see is a bright teal wall. A little further down the hall Alicia Murphy, Development Director, has a teal clock and shelves hanging on the wall in her office. “Teal is our color.”
Color is everywhere in STAR headquarters, from the soft light of the lamps in the counseling rooms, to the “Hunks in Heels” calendars stacked on the credenza.
STAR®’s Mission is to support survivors of sexual assault, improve systems response, and create social change to end sexual violence in our community.
“We have a vision to build a healthy community free from oppression and sexual trauma,” said Murphy.
The local organization, established in 2011 as a 501(c)(3) after 36 years of operating as the Baton Rouge Rape Crisis Center, serves the Central, Capital and Greater New Orleans Regions of South Louisiana. All services are free of charge to survivors 12 and older seeking to heal from sexual assault. They include:
- Comprehensive education to youth and adults in the community.
- 24/7 Hotline
- 24/7 Hospital Accompaniment
- Court Accompaniment
- Legal Representation
- Case Management
- Safety Planning
- Individual and Group Therapy
There are a number of ways you can support the organization.
- Donate to support survivors by giving a one time, monthly or annual gift at star.ngo/donate.
- Volunteer or Intern at STAR.
- Request a free “STAR 101” presentation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fundraise for STAR:
- Host a friend-raising event.
- Coordinate a golf tournament or run/walk on STAR’s behalf.
- Coordinate a school dress down day.
- Organize a “Give Back Night” at a local restaurant.
- Hold a carwash.
- Attend one of STAR®’s annual events:
- Champions for Change Breakfast – held each April.
- Hunks in Heels – held each October.
“April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month,” said Murphy. “So, STAR has numerous opportunities for individuals to get involved.” For questions or to learn more about participating, contact Alicia Murphy, Development Director at 225-615-7093 ext.131 or visit www.star.ngo.