The Neighbors Capital Area Foundation has granted $50,000 to 15 graduating students in the Greater Baton Rouge Area. To date, Neighbors has awarded 52 students with $145,000 in tuition assistance, including our first 4-year scholarship in 2020.
- Lauren Rogers – Live Oak HS $20,000 (4-year scholarship)
- Lexci Ferguson – Scotlandville Magnet HS $5000
- Rikki Cubbedge – Walker HS $5000
- Chase Augustus – The Dunham School $5000
- Reem Qayssar – Baton Rouge Magnet HS $2000
- Logan Collins – Denham Springs HS $1500
- Brandis Lee – Southern University Lab School $1500
- Betsy Chen – Liberty Magnet HS $1500
- Jakirah Johnson – Central HS $1500
- Jaymya Joubert – Baker HS $1500
- Myah Buchanan – Parkview Baptist $1500
- Ashley Nguyen – Woodlawn HS $1000
- Jacoby Howard – Port Allen HS $1000
- Westeria Clark – McKinley HS $1000
- Quyen Thai – Broadmoor HS $1000
“We’re excited and honored to continue supporting students in our community as they enter a new phase of their life.” Neighbors President and CEO Steve Webb said. “As we wrap up the fourth year of the NWTAA, we look forward to continuing this program and growing our Foundation presence to impact even more community members.”
The scholarships were announced through a virtual awards ceremony Friday, June 21, 2021.
Schools participating in the Neighbors Mascot Checking Program were invited to nominate one graduating senior to receive the scholarship, formally named the Neighbors Way Tuition Assistance Award. The Mascot Checking Program created customized checking accounts that provide money for the respective school for each debit card swipe. In 2020, this program raised $75,650 for participating schools.
Schools nominated students based on their character and commitment to living the “Neighbors Way.” Nominated students exemplified the credit union’s core values including: Integrity, Respect, Trust, Stability, Community Involvement, Honesty, Empathy, Ethical Behavior and Fairness.
Funds for the program are raised through three major avenues. The first is Neighbors’ employee payroll donation program. The second avenue is from the foundation’s annual fundraiser, Clays for a Cause. The third source comes from Neighbors FCU’s Free Cash Back Checking account, which provides five cents to the foundation for every qualified debit card purchase. The remainder of the funds were generated from miscellaneous fundraisers and direct contributions from NFCU.