BBB Tips on Hiring Tax Help
Taxes aren’t always easy and many people need professional assistance to file their taxes. Here are some tips to hire the right tax help from the BBB.
Because of the sensitive nature involved in completing your taxes, taxpayers should verify a prospective preparer is qualified and can be trusted before handing over their personal information. Here are some helpful tips when choosing an accountant or tax preparer to file your taxes:
- Check for a valid PTIN (Preparer Tax ID Number) Anyone with a valid PTIN is authorized to prepare federal tax returns.
- Research tax preparers and accountants on bbb.org before hiring. BBB Business Profiles on local and national companies are free and easy to access. A company’s profile will contain a BBB rating, basic company info, customer reviews, three-year complaint history and more.
- Inquire about costs and service fees upfront. Avoid preparers who are paid using a percentage of your refund or promise bigger refunds than another company or preparer.
- Make sure your agent has e-file and ask that your return be submitted to the IRS electronically. It’s the quickest and safest way to submit your returns.
- Know how to contact your tax preparer after the tax filing deadline in case problems or questions arise later. Any refund you receive should be deposited into your own bank account.
- Your tax preparer must sign returns and include their PTIN. You are also required to receive a copy of your returns. ➢ Report abusive tax preparers to the IRS using form 14157 and contact your BBB to file a complaint.
Remember, it’s always a good idea to visit our Fraud Protection Center.