On Monday, October 8th, the entire Neighbors staff will volunteer throughout the community. Baton Rouge Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome has declared the day Neighbors Day in Baton Rouge.
Our staff will be volunteering with 13 different charity organizations and schools. We wanted to highlight a few of these organizations we’re going to be working with on Neighbors Day.
Here’s what our friends at the Cancer Services of Baton Rouge had to say:
What services does this organization provide for the community?
- Cancer Services provides services to children and adults living with cancer, as well as support to their family members. The organization offers support groups, counseling, and supplies such as medical beds, wheelchairs, and wigs. All services are provided free of charge.
Why are the services provided by your organization necessary?
- Cancer Services is one of only 26 agencies in the United States whose sole mission is to provide programs and services to children and adults living with a diagnosis of cancer. We provide unique programs especially for children with cancer and their siblings and children who have a parent or guardian living with cancer including monthly fun activities as well as four camp programs each designed to meet the specific therapeutic needs of the children.
What can individuals do if they wish to support your organization?
- We depend on the generosity of the community to support our programs and services. Any donation, large or small makes a big difference in ensuring we are able to provide critical assistance to children and adults living with a cancer diagnosis. We can always put volunteers to work welcoming clients and directing them to the appropriate staff member, working in distribution to get supplies and equipment to clients and helping out in the warehouse repairing and cleaning equipment.
What areas does this organization serve?
- Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberville, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena Parish, St. James, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana Parish
What will Neighbors be helping out with on Neighbors Day?
- Volunteers will provide support to Cancer Services by assisting in cleaning and organizing their warehouse, making minor repairs to equipment, and organizing supplies. Any other information you’d like us to include?Thank you to Neighbors for partnering with Cancer Services to provide assistance and support to cancer patients in our community.